Youth, Tech Lab
Summer Youth: Creative Robotics - Critters (Ages 10-14)
- Mon, 7/10/2023 9:00:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Tue, 7/11/2023 9:00:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Wed, 7/12/2023 9:00:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Thur, 7/13/2023 9:00:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Mon, 7/10/2023 - Thur, 7/13/2023
Full STEAM ahead! In this class, students combine art and technology to make critters (real or imagined) out of common materials like cardboard, paint, and paper. They bring them to life through coding, motors, lights, and a variety of components. The class begins by introducing the robotics kits they will be using - micro:bit and Hummingbird Bit. We explore the different components, how to use them, and code them using block-coding applications like MakeCode. Then they learn different cardboard building techniques and mechanisms that can be used for their creations.
- For students ages 10-14.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Registration closes on Wednesday, July 5.
- A materials fee of $2 is included in the price of the class, and all materials will be provided. Students may bring some of their own materials (see below).
- New registrants: When you register, select Others Only in the "Who Are You Registering?" section. On the next page, Add New Registrant. Create an account for your child. The email address on their account must be unique.
- The next time you register your child, you will be able to Search Registrants to select them.
- Complete and return this minor permission form.
- You may register your youth for an optional supervised lunch hour from 12-1 pm for the duration of this class.
To keep the costs of the class down, robotics kits will be provided for use during class time and will be returned to the instructor at the end of the week.
Students can bring their own devices from home like laptops (Mac or PC), Chromebooks, or Bluetooth-enabled tablets. Or they can use the computers at BARN, but availability is limited. Even though they will be wearing a protective gown, it is still recommended that students not wear clothes they'll mind getting paint on.
- If you have any questions, please email BARN Youth Program Coordinator, Sarah Jones at SarahJ@BainbridgeBARN.org.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health & safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available- fill out the simple application before registering for a class.
- For those who might need assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program
Instructors or Guides