Youth, Kitchen Arts
Summer Youth: BARN Bake Off (Ages 12-18)
BARN’s first-ever Bake Off is meant to test culinary skills and creativity of experienced bakers.
- Mon, 7/24/2023 9:00:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Tue, 7/25/2023 9:00:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Wed, 7/26/2023 9:00:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Thur, 7/27/2023 9:00:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Mon, 7/24/2023 - Thur, 7/27/2023
Each day, you will be given a challenge (listed below) and an allotted time to create while having access to BARN's well-equipped kitchen and pantry. You can work alone or partner up with a friend. Bring your own recipes and spend two-plus hours working your magic. Your creations are then judged by many of BARN’s professional instructors who also will be on hand to provide feedback and critiques. All food presented for judging must be made within the allotted time at BARN. You're welcome to bring special plates and equipment from home. Come ready to cook and impress us with your creativity!
Day 1 - Orientation (no competition or judging). You'll spend the day becoming familiar with BARN's kitchen and equipment and review professional safety standards. You'll work through a recipe and take home the treats.
Day 2 - Victoria Sponge. Buttercream or whipped? Raspberry or strawberry jam? You'll not only be testing your creative skills, but timing will be essential with this bake. With only two professional ovens and 25 minutes per bake, first and last bakes will be key to securing the win!
Day 3 - Swiss Roll. Chocolate, vanilla or checkerboard? Butter - whipped or pastry cream? Jelly or jam? Creativity is key to this technically challenging and delicious dessert.
Day 4 - American Pie. What’s your version of pie - apple, lemon, or ice cream? Flaky crust is a must as you're asked to be creative with every aspect of making this classic American tradition. Please bring their own pie pans for easy transport home.
You'll also learn the importance of cleanliness in the kitchen. Judges will be reviewing and commenting on work stations. Everyone will be responsible for assisting in washing up and cleaning the Kitchen Arts Studio in accordance with our restaurant permit standards.
- For students ages 12-18.
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Registration closes Monday, July 17.
- A $50 materials fee included in the cost of the class covers all materials.
- Students must wear closed-toe shoes to class.
- New registrants: When you register, select Others Only in the "Who Are You Registering?" section. On the next page, Add New Registrant. Create an account for your child. The email address on their account must be unique.
- The next time you register your child, you will be able to Search Registrants to select them.
- Complete and return this minor permission form.
- You may register your youth for an optional supervised lunch hour from 12-1 pm for the duration of this class.
- If you have any questions, email BARN Youth Program Coordinator Sarah Jones at SarahJ@BainbridgeBARN.org.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health & safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available- fill out the simple application before registering for a class.
- For those who might need assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program
Instructors or Guides
Growing up in South Texas, Marcela’s culinary roots are with traditional Mexican cuisine. She is Cordon Bleu-trained, worked in restaurants in D.C. and Beijing, sold gelato in Lusaka, ran a tapas bar in Pyongyang, trained restaurant staff in Kathmandu, and taught cooking to students from Tanzania to Bainbridge Island.