Great Room, General, Writers
Bainbridge Open Mic at BARN (BOMB!) (Free Event)
We’re excited to offer Open Mic for poets of all experience levels to read their work to an appreciative audience.
- Thur, 9/21/2023 6:45:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Join us for poetry readings by Tess Gallagher and Gary Coleman Lilley followed by a poetry open mic.
We’re excited to offer Open Mic for poets of all experience levels to read their work to an appreciative audience. This is a great opportunity to reach new readers and meet people who love words as much as you do. It takes courage to share your work with others. Be brave!
Open to the public, and everyone is welcome (ages 14 and up). No need to register in advance. Signup for the open mic will start at 6:45 pm at BARN. Poets will be asked to keep their readings to three minutes or less.
This month's featured readers:
Tess Gallagher is an American poet, essayist, and short story writer. Among her many honors are a fellowship from the Guggenheim Foundation, a National Endowment for the Arts award, the Maxine Cushing Gray Foundation Award, and the prestigious international Fondazione Roma Ritratti di poesia Prize for Lifetime Achievement in Poetry. Her most recent poetry collection, Is, Is Not, was published May 2019 by Graywolf Press.
Gary Copeland Lilley is the author of eight books of poetry, including The Bushman’s Medicine Show (Lost Horse Press, 2017), and a chapbook, The Hog Killing (Blue Horse Press, 2018). Originally from North Carolina, he now lives in the Pacific Northwest, where he is the Artistic Director of the Port Townsend Writers Conference and a Cave Canem Fellow.
Host: Michele Bombardier, Bainbridge Island Poet Laureate.
Sponsored by Arts & Humanities Bainbridge and the City of Bainbridge Island, with funding support from the Bainbridge Community Foundation. Refreshments provided by Town & Country Markets.
- Open to the public, and everyone is welcome.
- No need to register in advance.
- Signup for the open mic will start at 6:45 pm at BARN. Poets will be asked to keep their readings to four minutes or less.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.