Fish Skin Basket With Audrey Armstrong
Join Koyukon Athabascan tribal member Audrey Armstrong to prepare, sew, mold, and adorn a fish skin basket.
- Thur, 10/5/2023 9:30:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Fri, 10/6/2023 9:30:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Sat, 10/7/2023 9:30:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Sun, 10/8/2023 9:30:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Learn to construct a fish skin bowl from an artist whose works are known throughout the United States.
You will be provided with fish skins, which you will prepare on the first day. Then you will sew the pieces together around a bowl mold, and adorn your bowl with beads or other decorations you may bring from home.
- Your bowl/basket will measure approximately 6” in diameter and 3-1/2” high.
- The skins of two fish will be used per project.
- You will clean the skin and preserve the skin overnight in an alcohol solution.
- On the second day, you'll sew the pieces together around a bowl mold.
- On the third day, you'll complete the rim and begin to adorn the bowl with beads or other decorations you may bring from home.
- On the final day, you'll finish decorating and make the final touches.
- Skill level: Beginner
- Bring sack lunches each day. BARN has a refrigerator and microwave on the lower level.
- Registration closes Oct. 2.
- BARN will provide fish, materials, and tools
- You should bring an apron and items for decoration such as beads, shells, and any other small items you may wish to use.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides