Dye Your Own Warps for Rigid Heddle Loom Weaving
Learn simple dyeing and warping techniques to achieve different color-based looks in your woven fabrics.
- Sun, 10/1/2023 12:00:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Wed, 10/4/2023 12:00:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Sun, 10/1/2023 - Wed, 10/4/2023
Different color-based looks in woven fabrics can range from quasi-ikat color shifts to colorful blocks of your favorite colors. Or you can dye both skeins together and use the second for your weft.
- Session 1: Space-dye two skeins of yarn using acid dyes (either commercial or food-grade). (3 hours)
- Session 2: Warp your loom with one of the skeins and start to explore different woven looks. (2 hours to warp, then weave on your own)
- Wear old clothes in case you get dye on them
- A $45 materials fee is included in the price of class
The materials fee covers dyes, applicators, and two skeins of undyed yarn.Bring the following supplies to class:
- Gloves, apron
- (Optional) A heat-resistant glass baking dish that can be used in the microwave, if you have one
- (Optional) Additional yarn, wool blend, you can dye if time permits. Additional skeins will be available for purchase, as well
- Ages 14 and up are welcome
- Level: Advanced beginner
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides