Shibori and Natural Dyeing with Ana Lisa Hedstrom
Be introduced to three shibori techniques, using indigo and natural dyes, guided by a world-renowned artist and teacher.
- 08/21/2023 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- 08/22/2023 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- 08/23/2023 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
8/21/2023 - 8/23/2023
BARN is thrilled to welcome Ana Lisa Hedstrom for this three-day journey through the basics of three kinds of shibori: Arashi shibori pole wrapping, Itajime shibori folding and clamping, and "sewing-machine resist." An exciting component is the use of all-natural dyes throughout the class. There will be an indigo vat, natural dyes on pre-mordanted fabric, and a one-bath natural dye for protein fabrics.
Ana Lisa will bring indigo-dyed samples from Japan and examples of her own work, as well as a collection of books and catalogs for inspiration and education.
- Skill Level: Beginners to more advanced dyers.
- Dress for a mess: wear clothing that can get stained and/or wear an apron.
- Bring gloves.
- Bring an N-95 mask.
Bring a sack lunch. BARN has a refrigerator and microwave on the lower level.
- A materials fee of $35, included in the cost of the class, covers all dyes, a limited amount of fabric and paper, and all materials needed. Note: We will use all-natural fibers.
We will work with a variety of natural fabrics, including cotton, linen, silk, and wool, to make samples and scarves. Designing with shibori fabrics will be an integral part of classroom discussion.
For the segment on machine-stitched shibori, local students are welcome to bring their own sewing machines. Others will be able to share a BARN sewing machine after an orientation. More details will be discussed on the first day of class.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides
Ana Lisa Hedstrom