Knit Your First Sweater *Cancelled*
Nervous about knitting your first sweater? Get support in a class that walks you through each step of the process!
9/21/2023 - 11/30/2023
Want to knit a sweater, but too nervous to try? Join this class to work through the project with a supportive group of people.
For this class we will use the Wool and Honey Sweater pattern by Andrea Mowry. This is a sweater that packs a big visual punch with very achievable constructions methods. We will start the first session by talking about critical issues like fit and gauge before casting on our sweaters. In subsequent sessions, we will work through many issues, including the short row section, the elongated stitch pattern, transitioning at the sleeves, magic loop for small circumference knitting, and using appropriate cast offs.
Students will make a Wool and Honey Sweater in their own size. Among other skills students will learn about short rows, gauge and fitting, sweater shaping, magic loop method, and finishing
- Students should be comfortable casting on, knitting and purling. This class is appropriate for confident beginners.
- A $5 fee, included in the cost of the class, covers handouts you will receive. See below for what students should bring.
- Wool and Honey sweater pattern by Andrea Mowry
- Fingering weight yarn appropriate for their size of the sweater (always plan a little extra to accommodate differences in knitting and yarn)
- Size 3 and 4 circular needles (or size needed to achieve gauge)
- Stitch markers
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.