Surface Design: The Mending Sampler Needle Book - Online
Learn Japanese and French mending techniques and then turn your sampler into a Needle Book!
- 08/12/2023 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- 08/13/2023 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM
8/12/2023 - 8/13/2023
Learn Japanese and French mending techniques and then turn your sampler into a Needle Book. In the first portion of this workshop, we will look at examples of Japanese and French textile mends, as well as mends from other cultures, and then students will learn a variety of them while stitching on a piece off fabric. After students practice the techniques, they will use the fabric sampler to create a functional needle book. This workshop is great for students wanting to learn useful mending techniques while making something that can be used or given as a gift.
Skill Level: All levels, including beginner to advanced stitchers
Students will need the following:
- Fabric marker or pencil
- One piece of medium-weight fabric: 7 x 9 inches
- One or two pieces of felt (or other fabric if felt not available): 4 x 6 inches
- Fabric scraps you want to work with
- A variety of threads you want to work with
- Needles to fit your threads
- Pencil and paper for notetaking
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides
Her work appears in a number of publications including "Masters: Book Arts: Major Works by Leading Artists," "500 Handmade Books," and "1000 Artists' Books: Exploring the Book as Art." Jody was an artist in residence at the Santa Cruz Resource Recovery Facility in 2019 and is the 2015 recipient of the Rydell Visual Arts Fellowship.