It's a Pillow. It's a Quilt. It's a Quillow!
Need a quilt? Need a pillow? Make a Quillow!
- Wed, 10/4/2023 6:00:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Wed, 10/11/2023 6:00:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Wed, 10/18/2023 6:00:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Wed, 10/25/2023 6:00:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Wed, 10/4/2023 - Wed, 10/25/2023
Perfect as a quilt, throw, extra pillow and handy to have along on car trips!
Using pre-cut materials, 10” squares of fabric known to quilters as “Layer Cakes,” you will sew a twin-sized quilt top from start to finish.You'll learn to become comfortable with 1/4” seams and squaring up blocks, cutting and sewing half-square triangles, and hand tying to complete the quilt (if machine quilting is desired, you'll need additional time outside class).
The pattern will be based on Half-Square Triangles (HSTs), and hand-quilted using the “tying” method with pearl cotton. After creating the quilt top, a pillow pocket made of extra squares will be sewn and added to the back of the quilt top. The finished quilt is easy to store, display on a couch or bed, or kept in the car for travel or emergency use. Several final quilt top layout designs will be shown and discussed.
- Skill Level: Confident beginner and up
- The $40 materials fee, included in the cost of the class, covers batting; spray; white machine thread; embroidery pearl cotton thread and embroidery needles; spray baste;
- Students will need to bring two layer cakes (both precut 10" squares, 42/package) - one in main color/patterns and the other a solid color or tone-on-tone background fabric (do NOT wash layer cake fabric); backing fabric (7 1/2 yards at 42”-44” wide or 2-plus yards at 108” wide); three packs double-fold bias tape (12 yards, color to blend with selected fabrics); and thread (if color other than white desired).
If you choose to use BARN sewing machines, you must have taken Orientation to Fiber Sewing Machines.
Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides