We'll start with a safety orientation and introduction to our lampworking tools and equipment. You will learn to:
- Collect a gather
- Attach and detach punties
- Shape molten glass using gravity, surface tension, marble moulds, and other shaping tools
- Use colored glass to make simple designs
Completing this class and demonstrating competence with the lampworking tools and equipment will check you off for lampworking on your Glass Studio skills card, allowing you to use them during open studio.
Heads up: It's recommended to work standing up (rather than sitting), so be advised that you'll be on your feet for much of class. If you prefer to sit, we strongly recommend you bring your own leather or cotton apron (not synthetic) in case of hot, rolling marbles.
Two or three glass marbles. This class is mostly about learning equipment, technique, and safety so that you can practice and apply what you learn during future open studios.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- Wear close-toed shoes and long pants in the Glass Studio at all times.
- Avoid wearing synthetic fibers (they melt), long loose sleeves (they dangle), shirts with open pockets or pants with cuffs (they can trap hot glass).
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides