Woodworking Basics: Project Planning
- Mon, 10/16/2023 6:00:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Mon, 10/23/2023 6:00:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Mon, 10/16/2023 - Mon, 10/23/2023
Learn the steps an experienced furniture maker goes through before he's ready to build a project. Then, with his guidance, go through those steps on a project of your choice.
- Day 1: View examples of the instructor's work and discuss the design steps that went into them. Learn how to go from a sketch to a detailed, scaled drawing. Using a simple class project, such as a drawer, go through these steps yourself.
- Day 2: Bring a sketch of the project you want to build. In class, develop a scaled drawing that includes joinery details so you can develop a parts list and the steps needed to build the piece.
If possible, come to class with an idea for one piece of furniture you want to build (not required).
You do not need to be a certificate student to take this class.
A $79 materials fee, included in the class fee, covers the cost of key drawing tools and a drawing board, which you will take home after the class so you can use them for future projects. Included:
- 24-inch-square drawing board
- 24-inch T square
- Pencils, eraser, eraser shield, etc.
- Two 12-inch triangles with angles of 30, 60, 45 and 90 degrees.
- Architect's scale
- Drafting compass
- Extra sheets of 19"X24" layout bond paper
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- Wear closed-toe shoes.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides