Introduction to MIG (Metal Inert Gas) Welding #1
This is a hands-on introduction to MIG (metal inert gas) welding – the easiest-to-learn technique with broad applications.
- Tue, 10/10/2023 6:00:00 PM - 8:30 PM
The goal at the end of the class is for you to feel comfortable operating the welding machine and the MIG welding process.
The class begins with a safety briefing, followed by an introduction to welding theory and materials. You'll spend about two hours in hands-on practice while receiving guidance on technique. At the end of class, you should be able to lay down a MIG bead and to be able to identify and remedy problems with the bead. Many will have advanced to exploring different types of weld joints or welding materials of different thicknesses.
Each participant will have the use of a fully equipped Miller 215 welder and go through the welding set up process.
Once you've completed the class, you'll be eligible to participate in welding shop open studios to practice and to improve your technique.
- Class is limited to four students to provide one-on-one learning and direct mentoring.
- Safety and personal protection equipment will be provided by BARN.
- Wear long sleeves (natural fiber, no stretch fabric), long pants and closed-toe shoes of cotton or leather.
- A materials fee of $20, included in the cost of the class, covers the steel, gas, and filler wire needed in class.
- The higher price of this class is due to the difference in compensation to professionals with expertise above BARN's typical instruction level.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides