Wood Stains & Finishes
Did you ever wonder how to get a really professional-looking finish on your woodworking project? In this hands-on class, you will learn about different types of wood stains and clear finishes.
- Mon, 10/9/2023 6:00:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Wed, 10/11/2023 6:00:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Mon, 10/16/2023 6:00:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Wed, 10/18/2023 6:00:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Mon, 10/9/2023 - Wed, 10/18/2023
Experiment with numerous finishes on a sample board to take home and use for future reference. The class is four sessions to allow drying time as you go through all of the steps:
- how to prepare the surface to help ensure an excellent finish.
- which stains and finishes work best on different types of solid wood and plywood.
- which tools and techniques to use when applying stains and finishes by hand (ie, without spraying).
- which products are compatible with one another — and which ones aren't.
If you have a project that needs finishing, you are welcome to bring it or to share a picture of it during the class and to consult with the instructor on the best approach. (A later class will focus on refinishing — it is not the topic of this class.)
This class is open to students who have taken Orientation to the Woodshop.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- You must wear closed-toe shoes.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides