Build a Modern Four-Board Bench *Cancelled*
A great first project for anyone interested in building furniture.$MC:ASSN_EVENTFUNCTIONS_BYDATE_PLC$
Sun, 10/22/2023 - Sun, 11/5/2023
Build a simple but classy bench that gives a modern twist to the traditional four-board bench.
This class makes a great first furniture project. You'll go through all the basic steps:
- Develop a stock list from a plan.
- Lay out parts on wood, cut pieces to rough dimensions, and mill the precise sizes you need.
- Cut and fit the joinery (the bench has wedged tenons and cross-lap joints).
- Create design details and edge treatments.
- Plan and execute a calm, thoughtful glue-up.
The instructor will discuss final surface preparation and finish options, but you may not have time in the class to complete these steps.
You will use mostly machine tools, supplemented with hand tools.
The class fee covers poplar and all additional materials other than finish.
BARN has all the tools needed, but if you have these tools, please bring them:
- No. 4 smoothing plane or a No. 5 jack plane
- Low-angle block plane
- Bevel gauge
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- You must wear safety glasses and closed-toe shoes, tie back long hair, and avoid loose-fitting clothing and jewelry. We recommend bringing your own safety glasses.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.