In this hands-on class, you will make practice cuts on wood that the shop will supply. Completing this class qualifies you to use the following tools during open studio time or in classes that have this as a prerequisite:
- Router and router table
- Oscillating sander
- Disc sander
- Drum sander
- Edge sander
- Scroll saw
- This is a companion class to Woodshop Tool Safety Checkout 1, which may be taken before or after this class. See calendar for details.
- To use the shop, you also need to attend the free, one-hour Orientation to the Woodshop.
- Wear safety glasses and closed-toe shoes, tie back long hair, and avoid loose-fitting clothing and jewelry. We recommend bringing your own safety glasses.
- You will get more out of this class if you first view videos that cover these tools. You can go back to these at any time to review safety protocols. Find them on the Woodworking & Small Boatbuilding Studio page.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides
A founding member of BARN, Jeanne worked on her homes for years, then had a chance to become immersed in woodworking through the Preservation Carpentry program at North Bennet Street School in Boston. After working briefly as a carpenter in Cambridge, she was hired as an editor at This Old House magazine and went on to write for other magazines, Sunset Books and the Washington Post.