Carving Afternoon (Free)
Gather with other woodcarvers to share tips, explore different techniques, and work on individual carving projects.
- 09/10/2023 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
More a weekly gathering than a formal class, Carving Afternoon is open to beginners as well as experienced woodcarvers.
Each session begins with basic safety and carving instruction, so beginners should plan to arrive promptly at 1 pm. Blanks for a simple carving project and all tools will be provided.
More experienced carvers should bring a project to work on as well as any personal carving tools, although BARN tools also are available. Once beginners are engaged in their projects, there will be time at each session to explore more complicated techniques, discuss carving traditions, learn about topics such as sharpening or wood selection, and get advice about the best way to proceed.
Carving Afternoon overlaps with open studio, which lasts until 6 pm. Participants are welcome to continue carving beyond the time this event ends. Open studio is free to members, and $20, payable by cash or check in the studio, for guests. Open studio also has prerequisites (see below).
Work on your own project or one provided for beginners, which will be a simple basswood figure or design.
All materials and tools are provided at no cost for the instructor-led project. Participants must bring materials for their independent projects.
There are no prerequisites to participate in Carving Afternoon.
However, if you want to use power tools to prepare your own carving blanks or do any other work in the shop, you need to qualify for open studio use by first taking Orientation to the Woodshop, Woodshop Tool Safety Checkout 1 and Woodshop Tool Safety Checkout 2.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- You must wear closed-toe shoes. If you stay longer and work in the main shop, you must also tie back long hair and avoid loose-fitting clothing and jewelry. We recommend bringing your own safety glasses.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides