Help Build a Tiny House - Shift 13
Help build a tiny house to provide warm, secure shelter for people experiencing homelessness in Puget Sound communities.
- 08/07/2023 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
BARN is building a tiny house in partnership with the Low Income Housing Institute in Seattle. LIHI, a non-profit organization that is one of the largest providers of tiny houses in the nation, is providing plans and materials; BARN is providing the volunteer labor. The completed structure will go to one of the tiny house villages that LIHI is organizing .
This will be the third tiny house built by BARN volunteers. As with the 2021 and 2022 houses, the one being built this year will be insulated and dry, but it won't have a kitchen or bathroom. Each village provides shared dining and bathing facilities.
BARN members with experience in residential construction will supervise the work of up to five other volunteers each day. Volunteers of all skill levels are welcome to participate. Besides helping people who need housing, volunteers will also learn how to build a small building using a variety of tools.
- Participation is free but you must register because team size is limited.
- To give volunteers flexibility in scheduling their time, each shift has a separate signup. All sessions are 1-5 pm. Click the Register button on the left of this web page to sign up for this shift (Aug. 7). To sign up for other sessions, follow these links:
- August 9
- August 11
Most work will be done outdoors, so dress appropriately. You must wear safety glasses and closed-toe shoes, tie back long hair, and avoid loose-fitting clothing and jewelry. We recommend bringing your own safety glasses.
Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides