Jewelry & Fine Metals
Pin-Backs and Brooches *Cancelled*
Learn about pin-back mechanisms and important details for a superbly functioning and wearable brooch.$MC:ASSN_EVENTFUNCTIONS_BYDATE_PLC$
There are different styles of pin-back mechanisms for brooches, so it can be difficult to know which might be best for your specific project. In this workshop, instructor Jesse Bert will discuss pin back mechanisms, explaining important details to take into consideration for a superbly functioning and wearable brooch.
The focus in this class will be to lead you through the steps of creating and finishing a beautiful and functional pin-back mechanism. Jesse feels the elegant pin-back construction that students will learn is one of the very best options out there. He has incorporated it as a key element in all of his brooches over the last 20-plus years. You'll also benefit from the opportunity to learn a unique method to prepare and use rivets. The application of rivets is a vital part in most of Jesse's work.
As time allows, you'll have the opportunity to explore the use of rivets by adding finishing touches to your brooch with additional metal components.
- Registration closes Sept. 23.
- If you want to bring food/snacks, BARN has a refrigerator and microwave on the lower level.
- A $35 material fee, included in the cost of the class, covers most of the materials and tools needed for the class.
- Students should bring:
- Drawing templates as desired
You must have previous experience soldering and sawing.
Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.