Basketry: Miniature Women’s Work Basket, with Holly Churchill
With instruction from master Haida basket weaver Holly Churchill, learn to weave a basket using aboriginal techniques used by Haida, Tsimshian, Tlingit and Nisga’a Tribes of the Pacific Northwest Coast
- Mon, 9/25/2023 9:30:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Tue, 9/26/2023 9:30:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Mon, 9/25/2023 - Tue, 9/26/2023
Under the guidance of Holly Churchill, you will weave a miniature women's work basket in the tradition of Native American Tribes. Choosing one of three techniques - alternating colors, one-line design, or false embroidery - you will create the basket's shape.
There will be a lunch break each day. Bring your lunch. BARN has a refrigerator and microwave for your use.
- A $65 materials fee, included in the price of the class, covers yellow and red bark cedar and any other materials you need.
- BARN will supply basketry tools.
- Students should bring (optional):
- Small tapered yogurt container if you wish to weave on a form (2 1/2" x 3").
- Freshly cut maidenhair fern (if you can find it).
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides