Sewing: Roman Shade Construction Workshop *Cancelled*$MC:ASSN_EVENTFUNCTIONS_BYDATE_PLC$
Thur, 10/19/2023 - Thur, 11/16/2023
Bring your own roman shade projects to work on with a professional.
This class will be 15 hours long spread over 5 3-hour sessions.
Week 1 - Bring pictures of the shade style you want to make, a picture of your window and its measurements, and a swatch of the fabric you intend to use. The swatch needs to be large enough to check the drape of the material. We will discuss the shade designs, yardage calculation, and lumber and hardware requirements. You will also receive a safety orientation on the electric staple gun.
After discussing the shade style and proposed fabric, you will purchase the recommended amount of your selected fabric, lining, recommended thread, and recommended lumber for the headrails and baseboards to bring to the second session.
Week 2 - Preparing headrails and baseboards and cutting fabric
Week 3 - Sewing side hems and bottom hem, and inserting and securing the baseboards
Week 4 - Measuring, marking, and sewing rings
Week 5 - Adding the headrail, stringing the shade, and finishing details
A $30 materials fee, included in the price of the class, covers hardware, rings and cords.
You will need to bring the following to the first session:
- A swatch of the fabric you intend to use to the first session, large enough to check the drape of the fabric
- Notebook and pen or pencil
- Hand sewing needles (large eye for double thread)
After discussing the shade style and proposed fabric at the first session, you will need to purchase the following to bring to the second session:
- Recommended amount of selected fabric
- Recommended thread
- Recommended lumber for headrails and baseboards
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.