Lay Out and Cut Numbers with the CNC Plasma Cutter
Lay out and cut a house number or address with the CNC plasma cutter.
$135.00 (any noted materials fee included)
$165.00 (any noted materials fee included)
- Sun, 12/17/2023 10:00:00 AM - 2:00 PM
This introduction to the CNC (computer numerical control) plasma cutter focuses on safety, general principles, start-up, and shut-down procedures. Plasma is an ionized high-temperature arc that cuts through metal when combined with a directed jet of compressed air. Just as with BARN’s other metal fabrication CNC machines, this system is based on the Centroid Acorn CNC controller and has a similar Virtual Control Panel.
The design you bring to class (details below) will be created in Fusion 360 with most any font you wish. Once in Fusion 360, the design will be post-processed to produce the geometric code (G-code) to cut your specific design. G-code is the control language that commands the CNC plasma cutter as to when and where to cut.
With the G-code created and fundamentals of safe operation mastered, you’ll learn the basics of machine operation: X- and Y-axis motion of the machine, torch height control, and Centroid’s Virtual Control Panel. Then you’ll cut your masterpiece!
- See the CNC plasma cutter in action here.
- Come to class with a clear sketch or drawing of the house number or address and the design layout, including the X-Y dimensions (256 square inches or smaller).
- Download a free copy of Fusion 360 to your Windows or Apple laptop, equipped with a mouse and USB thumb drive. Choose "Get Fusion 360 for personal use" and you'll be walked through setting up an account and completing the download.
- This is a one-session, four-hour class with a 10-minute break.
While not required, experience with Fusion 360 is advantageous.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- Wear natural fiber clothing, closed-toe shoes (natural fiber or leather), and tie back long hair. No stretch fabrics.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides