Jewelry & Fine Metals
Lapidary Series: Inlay Pendant or Ring *Cancelled*
Make rings or pendants of sterling silver, and learn how to cut lapidary for inlay.$MC:ASSN_EVENTFUNCTIONS_BYDATE_PLC$
Fri, 10/20/2023 - Fri, 10/27/2023
Make a pendant or ring of sterling silver and learn how to cut lapidary material for inlay. You'll have several shapes from which to choose. We'll discuss what goes into creating an inlay design, and learn setting and polishing techniques.
You'll choose one of these two kits in advance:
- Pendant kit: Sterling silver to make three small pendants or one or two larger pendants.
- Ring kit: Sterling silver to make two small rings or one larger ring.
If you only finish one during class, enough material will be left to practice during future open studio sessions.
Day 1: Fabrication. Because you already know how to fabricate bezels, a quick/light version of a demo is offered. Then you start your inlay — cutting and assembling.
Day 2: Continue inlay work and finish your new pendant.
- Level: Beginner/Intermediate
- We'll take a 30-minute break. You're welcome to bring food/snacks. BARN has a refrigerator and microwave on the lower level.
- A $45 materials fee, included in the price of the class, covers all metals needed for a single kit.
- Bring a selection of rocks to use in your work — rocks are not provided in the materials kits. Try to select material that is about the same hardness on the MOGS scale.
- Think about color combinations you want to use.
- You must have completed Lapidary Series: Points, Curves, and Facets
- Intermediate soldering and fabrication skills.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.