Introduction to Torchwork: Beadmaking
This beadmaking boot camp is designed to get you up and running when it comes to making torchworked beads.
- Sat, 11/11/2023 10:00:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Sun, 11/12/2023 10:00:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Learn to prepare your glass for shaping, how to use basic tools, and how to apply glass to achieve donut- and tab-shaped beads. If your torch skills are rusty, we'll review the basics. You'll develop confidence and muscle memory for the skills being taught. Each session will cover specific skills and practice time. You'll also be provided with mandrels and a glass rod assortment to take home and use for future use during an open studio.
- Day 1: After a brief introduction, you'll learn the basic properties of “soft” glass, the compatibility of glass (COE), reactions between different colors of glass, how heat can affect glass, embellishment techniques including applying stringers and dots, and simple manipulation of embellishments.
- Day 2: After reviewing and practicing skills from the previous day, you'll learn the techniques of two-color twists, filigrana, and applying stringers and/or twists onto a cylinder bead. You'll learn how to make cased beads, which will prepare you to make a tiger bead. And finally, you will work with frit and its application techniques.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides