Machine Shop: Make a Hammer
Learn how to make a hammer from aluminum and brass as you learn basic metal machining techniques.
- Mon, 10/2/2023 6:00:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- Mon, 10/16/2023 6:00:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Mon, 10/2/2023 - Mon, 10/16/2023
Machining operations covered in the class include basic metal turning, external thread cutting, knurling, chamfering, cutting off, milling a flat on a round work piece, drilling, and tapping threads.
The hammer - yours to keep - has a brass head and is useful as a "positioning" hammer. A $20 Materials fee is included in the class price. If you want a hammer head other than brass that's 1¼ inches in diameter, bring the material to the class.
Before the class, students should view the following four YouTube videos by "That Lazy Machinist" on how to make this type of hammer:
A $20 matierals fee, included in the price of the class, includes everything you'll need to make one hammer.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides