Special Guided Open Studio in the Foundry
Improve your skills, share ideas, and pour molten metal with a skilled monitor team.
- Sat, 10/7/2023 9:00:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Guided foundry time is for skill development and practice (it's not a formal class) under the guidance and support of monitors. There’s much to learn in making a mold from single or multi-part patterns — where to place gates and vents, or how big to make the risers to have sufficient metal to remain molten and fill voids as the cast metal cools. The best way to learn all this is through hands-on practice, and these guided open studios are where you can do that.
- Limited to four participants. Spectators are welcome by invitation and must adhere to all safety protocols. Receive your invitation by contacting David Hays at firstname.lastname@example.org no more than 24 hours prior to the event.
- If you have questions about this event, please contact a member of the Foundry team or David Hays at email@example.com.
A materials fee is included in the cost of this guided open studio, and helps cover the cost of fuel to operate the melt furnace and two pounds of bronze. Additional bronze material fees will be assessed on the net weight of material used at $12.50 per pound over two pounds. Other metal charges will be based on current stock rates. Please bring cash or check to pay for the metal you use.
- Wear natural fiber clothing, long pants, long sleeves, and closed-toe shoes (natural fiber or leather). No stretch fabrics, hoodie ties, or dangling jewelry. Long hair must be securely tied back.
- Eye protection is required.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides