Working with Live-Edge Slabs
Learn the steps involved in working with live-edge slabs for furniture or countertops.
- Mon, 1/8/2024 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Wed, 1/10/2024 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Mon, 1/15/2024 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
- Wed, 1/17/2024 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Learn the basic considerations involved in working with a thick slab of wood that still has a bit of bark along one edge.
To keep this class to four sessions and still allow hands-on experience with a range of issues, you will work collaboratively with other students on a few slabs with different characteristics.
Depending on the pace of the class, you may need to work between class sessions during open studio times to complete the slabs before class ends.
You will learn:
- Where to buy slabs and what to look for before you purchase.
- How to make a slab flat, uniformly thick, and smooth.
- How to fill small cracks or other gaps with epoxy.
- How to make butterfly joints to stabilize larger cracks.
- How to clean up and smooth a live edge, depending on the effect you want.
- How to choose and apply an appropriate finish.
You also will learn design options for a base if you want to use a slab for a table or a bench, and how to attach the slab to a base or to cabinets, if you want it as a countertop.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- You must wear safety glasses and closed-toe shoes, tie back long hair, and avoid loose-fitting clothing and jewelry.
- We recommend bringing your own safety glasses.
- View BARN's Cancellation and Refund Policy
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides