Jewelry & Fine Metals
Add Textured Metal to Your Design Vocabulary
Add texture to sheet metal using the rolling mill.
- Tue, 10/31/2023 5:00:00 PM - 8:00 PM
This skills-based class teaches you how to texture sheet metal using the rolling mill. By putting metal through the rolling mill with a texturing material, such as a paper or steel texture plate, you press the design into the metal.
Texturing makes the surface of copper, brass, or silver sheet more interesting because the variations in depth catch the light differently. It also can enhance the design of your project by conveying a theme, such as flowing water, wood grain, or patterned fabric.
Skill Level: Beginning to Intermediate
You will make several sheets of textured metal that you can use as a base for future projects such as pendants, brooches, earrings, and more. You can use the metal as-is or enamel it.
- A $23 materials fee, included in the cost of the class, covers the materials needed.
- Students should bring:
- Towels for drying metal and hands
- Pen, notebook, Ultra Fine-Point Sharpie or other pen that writes on metal
You must be able to cut, file, and anneal metal.
- Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- For your safety, please:
- Wear closed-toe shoes
- Tie back long hair
- Wear natural-fiber clothing
- Avoid loose-fitting clothing and jewelry
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides
Hammond exhibits locally and nationally. Her work has been published in Metalsmith magazine’s Exhibition in Print. She is a member of the Seattle Metals Guild and an active volunteer and instructor at BARN.