Jewelry & Fine Metals
Mold Making for Jewelry
Learn how to make silicone molds, a great way to make more than one piece of jewelry at a time.
- Tue, 11/28/2023 5:00:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Wed, 11/29/2023 5:00:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Tue, 11/28/2023 - Wed, 11/29/2023
If you've ever wanted to cast two or more of the same piece or part of jewelry or other small object, then come make injectable molds with us. You can make things like earrings and a pendant that match or metal versions of found or fabricated objects that you like the look of.
In this class, you'll make silicone molds that can be injected with wax to make duplicates. The waxes can then be cast later in one of our lost wax casting classes or independent casting sessions.
- Day 1: We'll sprue one or two approved objects chosen from your items, and pour the RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) material.
- Day 2: We'll cut the molds open and inject them with wax to give you your wax models.
- The instructor will make the demo video used in class available to you for three months after class.
- We won't be casting the finished wax model in this class, so you leave class with whatever wax model you have injected.
- If you want to cast your models, but have no casting experience at BARN, we recommend taking one of our repeating Introduction to Lost Wax Casting classes. The casting of finished wax is not included in this class.
- A $25 materials fee, included in the cost of the class, covers the mold-making materials need for this class.
- Bring several small simple pieces of your own original work, carved waxes, non-copyrighted objects, or a piece of nature you might want to mold (no rubber or hollow objects). Bring options from which to choose.
- Bring both a mask and an apron.
Ages 14 and up are welcome.
- View BARN's current COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- BARN is committed to accessibility. Tuition Assistance is available. Fill out the application before registering.
- For those who might need physical assistance, learn more about BARN's Companion Program.
Instructors or Guides